Re: Experience with recent WLAN hardware (Netgear WG 511, TRENDnet TEW-421PC)

On 03/14/2005 03:12 PM, Uwe A. P. Wuerdinger wrote:
Michael Marte schrieb:

Hello *,

last week I experimented with WLAN PCMCIA cards on my Dell Latitude
CS400XT running 2.6.10.

First I bought a Netgear WG 511 (54Mbit/s) which is reported to work
properly using the native Linux driver for Prism chipsets. As it did not
work at all, I did some research on the web and found out that new cards
use a reduced chipset - the driver developers refer to it as SoftMAC as
opposed to HardMAC - which is more like a Winmodem in that it requires
heavy support by the CPU. Despite the severe change in implementation,
Netgear did not change the card's identifier s.t. hotplug identifies it a
as prism card and tries to load the prism driver. It seems that all
Netgear cards "Made in China" have this problem and that in Germany only
those cards are being sold at the moment. So hands off - also if you plan
to use it with an older Windows machine because of the heavy CPU load the
driver causes. I returned this card.

Use a WG 511T works perfect with mad-wifi

just install the hkernel-headers package for your kernel
and get mad-wifi from CVS

follow the documentation on the mad-wifi site and enjoy

greets Uwe

I have two laptops; both running debian unstable with 2.6.11.2 kernels. On one, a dell inspiron 4100 I installed a intel 2200bg card and am using the ipw2200 drivers with pretty good luck. On the second laptop, I'm using a linksys wpc54g card with linuxant's drivers. This set of drivers required a bit more work of late for me to get going. At some point perhaps after 2.6.9, the linuxant drivers appear to not work if you compile in preemptive kernel options. In fact, the whole shebang just locks up solid and requires a reboot. If one removes it from the kernel, all is fine. The other thing with the linksys card and acpi suspend to ram, is that it will not suspend the driver and you have to add a small command line tool they have written that will gracefully remove the card's module and then you can re-insert it after.

I have not tried any of the netgear cards and I'll probably install the intel 2200bg card at some point in the t23 if it will take it. It does not have a minipci wifi antenna so I bought one on ebay.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org