Ndiswrapper and SID on Inspiron 5160

I was wondering if anybody on the list has had any experience getting ndiswrapper working with the Broadcom Wireless adapter that comes with this laptop.

I have installed the ndiswrapper packages and compiled the module.  I installed the Win driver with ndiswrapper, and when I use $>ndiswrapper -l it lists the driver installed and the hardware present.   I added ndiswrapper to /etc/modules and when I boot up and do a lsmod it shows the module loaded.

I disabled eth0 in my /etc/network/interfaces and set the wireless configuration:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
       wireless-essid "my-essid"
       wireless-mode Managed
       wireless-keymode restricted
       wireless-key1 xxxxxxxxxxx
       wireless-defaultkey 2

all of these settings are correct for my wap.

I can bring the Iface up and the system sees it, but i just can't establish any communication with my AP.   When I do a iwconfig the access point is off/any although the key settings seem to be set properly.   Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?  It appears others have gotten this adapter to work using ndiswrapper.  I can't find any erros in the kernel or system logs, it just doesn't connect...  Help please!