Re: installing from hard drive and network

On Thursday 10 March 2005 00:33, Jeff Mikels wrote:
> Can someone help me please? I'm trying to install debian on an old laptop
> (sony vaio-505g) without a floppy drive and without a cd-rom
> drive--therefore, the installation needs to be from hard drive files and
> network.
> However, I've tried sarge, 2.6, idepci, woody, and none of the installer
> scripts are working for me. Most of them crash with a Kernel Panic telling
> me that the root fs can't be mounted on 01:00.
> I've doublechecked the paths and the .bat file and all that, but I can't
> get past the root fs mount.
> Anyone willing to coach me?
> Pastor Jeff Mikels
> Northwest Baptist Church
> My personal weblog
> 773-338-1111
Here is a /etc/lilo.conf example:

       append="devfs=mount,dall ramdisk_size=12000"

 For more details, refer to the initrd(4) and lilo.conf(5) man pages. Now run
lilo and reboot.

The procedure for GRUB is quite similar. Locate your menu.lst in
the /boot/grub/ directory (sometimes in the /boot/boot/grub/), add the
following lines:

title  New Install
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/newinstall/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/newinstall/initrd.gz

search there for the kernel params, and change the ramdisk_size=12000 to 32000
just to be on the safe side. ( it solved my problems ).