Re: installing from hard drive and network

(Please follow up to debian-boot list so other people may be able to help as well.)

On Thursday 10 March 2005 00:47, you wrote:
Thanks for helping...

* I'm using sarge
* system currently runs win98 in a ~1G partition.
* Linux Swap (40MB) and Linux (~1G) partitions are already set up
(ranish partition manager)
* Network card is PCMCIA by Xircom

I have downloaded the sarge hd-media files and have an install.bat that
goes like this:

c:\linux\loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 devfs=mount,dall
ramdisk_size=12000 initrd=initrd.gz

Looking at the documentation for loadlin, I think the "root=/dev/ram0" parameter may be wrong, although the documentation is not completely consistent.

Could you try with just /dev/ram0?
Could you also try with /dev/ram and /dev/rd/0 (both with root= and without I guess to make sure)?

It reads the kernel and the initrd just fine but then crashes when
trying to mount the root fs on 01:00

I've also tried 2.6 kernel but I get an error telling me that init
isn't defined and that I should add an init= line to the loader...

c:\linux\loadlin 2.6/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 devfs=mount,dall
ramdisk_size=12000 initrd=2.6/initrd.gz

Pastor Jeff Mikels
Northwest Baptist Church
www.nwbc-chicago.org <http://www.nwbc-chicago.org>