installing from hard drive and network

Can someone help me please? I'm trying to install debian on an old laptop (sony vaio-505g) without a floppy drive and without a cd-rom drive--therefore, the installation needs to be from hard drive files and network.

However, I've tried sarge, 2.6, idepci, woody, and none of the installer scripts are working for me. Most of them crash with a Kernel Panic telling me that the root fs can't be mounted on 01:00.

I've doublechecked the paths and the .bat file and all that, but I can't get past the root fs mount.

Anyone willing to coach me?

Pastor Jeff Mikels
Northwest Baptist Church
My personal weblog