Re: Linux distro for HP

Go Ubuntu!
I am learning along with you.
But I tried installing Mandrake, Debian, and something else I can't remember.
Ubuntu was the easiest and had the most working right away.
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/

I don't know about linux on HP, but I suspect it will be fine, google.

Learn about apt-get, synaptic and aptitude. The latter two being front-ends to apt-get. I recommend aptitude -- more features though not as pretty and probably steeper learning curve, maybe not.

Dimitris E. Kiousis wrote:
Dear Friends!

Actually I am a newbie (to be honest a newbie-newbie).

I just use Linux because to run my finite element program and because I find it much cooooooler than Win. And eventually because I want to master it!

I recently bought an HP 9030. It came with Win installation.

I would like to install of course Linux.

I am looking for a distro that will be as automatic and with fewer problems as possible. (a guy that looks for automatic installations....hm... not what you would call a Linux expert user).

In my table pc I have RH9 and as I can remember they were quite easy (even disk partitioning was automatic).

Which distro do you suggest?  Which will be the easier for me?

Thank you very much!!!

Dimitris