Re: Copying Debian to another drive

jb701@uku.co.uk wrote:
I have Debian sarge loaded and running fine on a Thinkpad (laptop). I now want to copy my setup onto another hard drive, so I can try some things out without ruining this setup (which took a lot of effort to get running). How do I go about doing that? The laptop can only run one hard drive at a time. I can connect to another Debian machine (running woody). The laptop started with woody (same CDs used as the other machine) and I think I kept all the downloaded deb files used to upgrade. Is there any way to copy the setup rather than setting up a new hard drive from scratch?

What people most often do is remove the hard drive connect them to a different pc, image the drive, and then put it back in the laptop.

Removing the hard drive is really easy on thinkpads. On my x31 the hard drive is under the right shift key and is held in by one screw.

You then need an adapter to take the mini-ide + power of laptops and use it in a normal pc. Another option is to buy an external USB hard drive housing. You still need the adapter but then the drive can be hooked up without having to rewire things. The adapters are about $7 here in the states and most of the places that sell hard drives, motherboards and the like carry them. Basically it does 20 pin + power => 40 pin IDE standard with a power coupler just like a normal IDE drive.

As for the imaging itself, dd is really simple. Or you could just tar the whole thing up and save it.

Personally, I store my /etc and a package list plus whatever is important from /usr/src and /home. Lately been using revision control for this which makes backups easy. I can then reinstall fairly quickly and have all of my tuned configs.