Re: what's the best way to deal with a disconnect eth0?

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 19:08, Joe Emenaker wrote:

> Also, look in /etc/defaults/ifplugd and make sure that

/etc/default/... :-)

Better to not even modify that, but to use "dpkg-reconfigure ifplugd"

> "HOTPLUG_INTERFACES" is set to nothing. If it is set to "all" or "eth0",
> it will override anything on the auto line in /etc/network/interfaces
> (just learned that the hard way three days ago).

Is that just for a built-in ethernet?  I have two network connections, cardbus
on eth0 and a satellite modem on dpc0 (usb), and they're both set in
HOTPLUG_INTERFACES, because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
I'm not at all sure it is right - I've never quite got the usb connection
working properly - but it seems to work properly for eth0.
--
derek