Re: Hotplug vs. cardmgr (was: Anyone using Prism54?)

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:13:06AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> I did a bit of hacking with Hotplug and my USB camera and USB stick and
> documented it at:
>
> http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/linux/debianhotplug.html

That's helpful.  Thanks.

I looked up my camera on google and found how to get gtkam
working which required installing gphoto2.  I spent a little time
getting that to work.  I should have just plugged it in as all I
needed to do is mount it.

Can I ask how you manage your photos?

I was thinking about updating your hotplug script to mount the camera,
figure out unique file names (using the jhead package) and they copy
any new images from the camera to some standard directory on the local
drive.  Then umount the camera.  That way all I need to do is plug
in the camera to sync the photos.

I'm also looking for any easy and fast way to (graphically) crop the
image into a 1.33 ratio image and then scale it down to 640x480.  Gimp
works ok, but it's a few steps and I need to do it with a bunch of
images.

I don't normally like file managers, but using Endeavour2's image
browser is helpful.  Plus it's a drag-n-drop into gimp. Any other
cool tools.  (I use icewm.)

Anyway, I'm new to the digital photo world so I'm curious how others
manage their photo collections on linux.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org