Re: Debian vs. Fedora on Laptops

Everybody said:

> >>(Sarge comes with 14 CDs. People like me have no idea what most of those
> >>programs are or how they are supposed to be used.)
> >
> >yeah... but download only the 2 first... that was all I needed for one of
> >the laptops... the other I used a net install. But I agree that
> >documentation is really bad.

And Ubuntu, which is Sarge-based, only needs 1 CD (and no network).

> >>I think that Knoppix is probably the best distro, but FC3 comes in right
> >>afterwards, and RH9 follows that. I might have a more favorable opinion
> >> of Debian if it installed correctly, if it supported more hardware out
> >> of the box, if it allowed me to log in as 'Root' (Which I sometimes
> >> need), and if the software on the CDs worked without corrupting the
> >> operating system.

Ubuntu installed on my Dell Inspiron right out of the box.  Too bad I forgot
what I used for the root password :-)

No version of Knoppix that I've tried worked on the inspiron.

> >>But as you can see, my thoughts are not limited to Debian. I feel that
> >>entire Linux scene is like a toy where children get things almost done,
> >>then they loose interest and try to pass the buck on to someone else.

It certainly happens.

> >I agree that linux lacks some humanities (hehe), like work from interface
> >guys and so... but so far the linux comunity is mainly composed by
> >technical guys... I think that is the main reason for the lack of
> >documentation and so.

The main reason for the lack of documentation is that geeks don't need no
documentation.

> I doubt that you will hear from me again. I have been spend a lot of my
> free time experimenting with Linux systems. Other things are pressing
> and requiring more of my time.

No loss.  Some people get hung up on "Free" and never see further than "beer".
--
derek