Fecha: Lunes, Diciembre 27, 2004 5:30am
Asunto: HD problem, Debian Sarge 2.6.9, 30GB IBM HD

Hi

On my dell laptop, I hear weird clicks now and then. I had no idea what
it
was, and nobody had similar issues on this forum, as I asked before. My
problem isnt when the harddrive clicks several times, for me its just
one
click, and then silence for a long time, and click again.

Now I got further. SOmetimes when I use the HD excessively, like tar-
ing large
files, etc, the HD light goes on, and stays on for 10-15 seconds, while
nothing happenes on the laptop, and the mouse also freezes (I cannot
move it
for the 10-15 sec).

In the /var/log/messages the following shows up:

Dec 26 19:40:35 localhost kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status ==
0x21Dec 26 19:40:46 localhost kern el: hda: DMA timeout error
Dec 26 19:40:46 localhost kernel: hda: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 {
Busy }
Dec 26 19:40:46 localhost kernel: hda: DMA disabled

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben