Re: Kernel Headers question (and Winmodems)

On Sunday 12 December 2004 18:38, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'm going to try and get the winmodem working in my Toshiba laptop.
>
> >From a quick look it seems like I'll need to build the ltmodem package
>
> from http://ltmodem.heby.de/
>

> I build kernel images for my laptop on a separate machine and then
> copy the kernel-image-*.deb to the laptop for installation.  I'll need
> kernel headers to build the ltmodem package.  I'm wondering what the
> best method is to get the headers on the laptop -- and how the differ:

Why do you want the kernel headers on the laptop?  If you're building the
modem driver from source, why not build it where you build the kernel image?

> 1) Should I just copy /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9 to the laptop and
> setup a /usr/src/linux symlink?

That works - doesn't get debian patches, but I've done it both ways.  The
alternative is to get the debian kernel-source package.  .

> 2) use make-kpkg kernel_headers (which I've never done) to build a
> kernel headers package and install that on the laptop?

Should work - I've never done it either.  It seems like too much work when, at
best, the headers seem to be half the size of the total source.

> The info online about winmodems seems to be a confusing mix of
> looping web links, and it's hard to know what's outdated or is different
> with 2.6 kernels.

I imagine it's pretty outdated - there aren't a lot of people who are into
developing this sort of driver who are still using dial-up. :-(
--
derek