Re: filesystem corrupted like I've never seen

On Monday 13 December 2004 06:50, Alexandru Cabuz wrote:

> My /home and /var filesystems just got corrupted real bad and I have
> no idea why.
>
> I leave my (Latitude D600) laptop on overnight at the office normally.
> Except this monday morning I came into the office and tried to read my
> mail, and kmail promptly crashed saying the Mail folder doesn't have
> the right permissions or something.
>
> I closed everything down, rebooted, and at reboot I get tons of ide
> error messages
> dmesg gives this
>
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=10319090,
> high=0, low=10319090, sector=10319017
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 10319017

As everybody else suggests, hardware failure.  My Inspiron did the same.  All
those addresses are contiguous (or close to, anyway) which might mean it's
just a bad spot on the drive, and everything else is alright (especially if
all your partitions are on the single drive, and the other partitions are
fine), or it might mean that's just where the drive stopped working
altogether.  In which case you'd be SOL. :-(

In any case, if you can find an adapter to mount the drive on another system
(I bought a USB external drive case for exactly this purpose when the drives
on both my and my wife's laptops died within days), you may well be able to
recover all - or nearly all - the data.  Part of the problem, at least in my
case, was the amount of writing the system needed to do to that drive while
booting off it.  Once I mounted the individual partitions RO from the USB
device, I lost just the parts of three or four files (none important) that
were on the bad part of the drive.
--
derek