Re: extra buttons lost after upgrade

I have done the following with the "extra" keys on my Thinkpad
T41p

1) I ran "xev" to find out the keycodes for the "extra" keys

2) These keys generated scancodes 223 & 224.  The scancode
   translations for xkb for a bunch of devices are given (in our case,
   probably xfree86) in /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86.  For example,
   223 & 224 are symbols I6A and I69.

3) I'm using a pc101 model which is based on the us layout, basic
   variant.

4) I added a new variant to extend the basic variant as follows:

	Made a new stanza in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc:

	xkb_symbols "t41p" {

		include "pc/us(basic)"
		key <I6A> {	[	F13	]	};
		key <I69> {	[	F14	]	};
	};

	I added a line to symbols.dir to identify the new variant:

	-------- -------- pc/us(t41p)

5) I then used the XkbVariant "t41p" in the input secion of my
   XF86Config-4 file.

   You can test this without restarting X using:

	setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc101 -layout "us" -variant "t41p"

   You can verify that these new keys are now bound to F13 and F14 using "xev".
   Then you can bind these (e.g. in gnome) to new events as desired.

One can do the same sort of thing with any device.  For example, I
just bought a Keyspan PR-US2 dohicky that controls the mouse and two
buttons remotely via radio for making presentations (and has a built
in laser pointer).  I make presentations with Latex via acroread so I
am about to remap the Windows specific buttons for advancing
powerpoint slides to buttons to advance Acroread.  Will add a variant
to xkb for this the same way.

HTH,

--Martin