Trying to achieve hi-res console (framebuffer)

I've been struggling for two days trying to get my Compaq Presario
X1029cl to go into hi-res consoles or framebuffer.  Until I switched to
kernel 2.6.x, I had always been able to simply add a statement to the
kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst file like "vga=791" to achieve what I
was after.

Not one time with the 2.6.x series have I been able to get it done.
I've tried these various incarnations:

video=vesa:mtrr,ywrap,vga=791
video=vesa:mtrr,ywrap,vga=0x317
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,vga=791
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,vga=0x317
video=vesafb:1024x768@60
video=radeonfb:mtrr,ywrap,vga=791
video=radeonfb:mtrr,ywrap,vga=0x317
video=radeonfb:1024x768@60
vga=791

Anything with the vesa statement provides a normal console (80x25).
Anything with radeonfb or vesafb without the 1024x768@60 provides a
blackscreen during bootup.  This doesn't lock the machine up, I just can
see anything that happening.
The radeonfb and vesafb with the 1024x768@60 statements provide a normal
console (80x25)
The vga= statement gives me a blank screen as well.

Has anyone been able to use a 2.6.x kernel and get a hi-res framebuffer?
Of those that can, can you post the relevent portions of your kernel
config for me?

Thanks in advance,
--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE