Re: how to post--configure the Xserver, (XF86Setup or the alike)

    Thomas> Uwe Brauer wrote:

    Thomas> Due to the fact, that you don't know anything about lsusb
    Thomas> or /proc/bus/usb not even about 'man 5x XF86Config-4' I am
    Thomas> seriously in doubt that you will be happy running SID on a
    Thomas> laptop.  Installing debian SID via Knoppix is unsupported
    Thomas> und disencouraged especially on rather complicated
    Thomas> machines as laptops.  BTW - what a model of a laptop are
hm I am not sure about this statement. Knoppix has the advantage of
testing before installing. The machine I use is an IBM R40 (e)[1],
which runs quite nicely, the kernel is an 2.4.22 and does everything I
need. I compiled my own kernels in order to try to get apm/apci to
work but without success.

    Thomas> you running, at all?  What a kernel are you running, do
    Thomas> you have hotplug installed?  You're missing
    Thomas> Funny-Susi-GUIs and you are running *SID*?!  Do you have
    Thomas> any idea what you are actually doing?

I think I have, although, honestly I have not heard about
funny-honey-susi-musi etc.

    Thomas> OK - seriuosly: I highly commend you to get rid of
    Thomas> SID. Get the actual 'sarge' netinstall image from
    Thomas> debian.org, *read the documentation*, do a clean install.
    Thomas> Sarge is quite actual, and will soon be 'stable' - so it's
    Thomas> best choice at the current time. SID will cause you more
    Thomas> trouble than you'll expect, and nobody will be willing to
    Thomas> help a Debian newbee to run a developer's distribution.

Well  thanks for the  suggestion and concerns, but  I need to run sid,
for I need the most actual XEmacs, since  I provide an official XEmacs
pkg, and the  debian XEmacsen in  sarge and woody  simply would do  it
(besides their  debian   specific own oddies   and my   pleas to  have
21.4.15-7 in woody, 21.4.15-8 in sarge  and some recent 21.5.x version
in SID.

I meanwhile found out that xf86cfg, does provide some GUI interface, I
am still wondering, why XF86Setup isn't anymore part of XF86free,
license issues.

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  unfortunately e, for apm an apci is not supported for this model