Re: Sony Vaio battery indicator

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:45:33AM +0100, Loz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio FX-103 running Agnula DeMudi (which I am reliably
> informed is a snapshot of Sarge) and I'd like to be able to monitor
> the battery level of both the batteries in the laptop.
>
> On XP (yes, I have it dual booting, because I cannot tear myself away
> from windows just yet) Sony provide a couple of programs to read the
> battery levels, because windows cannot do it natively. I am assuming
> that the Vaio's read battery levels in a different way to other
> laptops because of this.
>
> However, does anyone know if such a program exists in linux so I can
> monitor this?

I have a sony fxa-53 and it reads the batteries just fine using acpi. If
those are regular batteries it should work. May sure you have acpi
enabled (check /proc/acpi as a start) and install the acpi package, then
try running acpi -V. If that show the battery status, then there are
several acpi based battery status applets out there.

If those are smart batteries, AFAIK support is not there yet. I know
that there is work done on that at the moment, so if you can't read your
batteries status right now, it should happen soon (at least with 2.6
kernels, don't know how much of this is ported to 2.4 kernels).

I don't think it provides battery status, but check the sonypi kernel
module also.