Re: Various questions...

* Rony <rony_ml@yahoo.com> [041015 11:40]:
> Hi,
>
> I have few questions:
>
> Debian automatically does the file checking every mounting 24 times,
> how to configure this? It's too frequent for me.

Use the command `tune2fs' with the -c flag. Eg to set from 24 to 500
for /dev/hda2

tune2fs -c 500 /dev/hda2

> Do we need to defrag in Linux?

No.

<snip>

> My Linux time is not correct, i have dual boot with XP. I know it's due
> to the difference between how Linux and Windows store/convert GMT. How
> to set to the correct one?

Check out the date and hwclock commands. To keep the time right one
you've set it you can use the ntp package

> I cannot login to my Yahoo account using Kopete. Always password error.
> Anybody experience this?

I don't use it, and don't know what it is.

> I downloaded Opera, but cannot install it using the following command:
> aptitude -i opera-static_7.54-20040803.1-qt_en_i386.deb

What error do you get?

> Can we install it using aptitude?

dpkg -i opera-static_7.54-20040803.1-qt_en_i386.deb

> Last one, anybody can provide me a link to the picture of Debian
> hero/heroine, Ian Murdock and Debra? Just curious how they look like :D

Try google.

I recommend you have a look at the debian-reference package. It's got some
really good stuff in it. Also please look at the man pages of the
programs I mention above (eg `man tune2fs').

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian 3.1
Linux twofish 2.6.8-looxt93c4 i686 GNU/Linux