Re: anti-aliasing and fonts

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:06:56PM +0200, ben van 't ende [netcreators] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really couldn't find a good answer to this. I am in the precess of
> moving all my windows systems to debian. My workstation with 19'' bla
> etcetera works wonderful and the screenfonts look beautiful as well.
> However on my Toshiba Satellite A50 the fonts look really shitty. Even
> trying to add some anti-aliasing and sub-pixels hinting doesn't help
> much. I am sure it doesn't have to look like this. Or? Is it just
> because a laptop has another kind of screen. This is about the only
> thing I don't like about my debian laptop.
>
> I hope there is a cure for this ;-)

What have you installed or tried so far font wise?
I have had success with first adding non-free to my sources
and making sure deforma is installed, apt-cache search truetype,
then installing whatever ttf fonts I see that look interesting,
especially ttf-xfree86-nonfree and msttcorefonts.

Then once all the the fonts are installed, check in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/ to make sure, then I add :

 FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"

to the *top* of my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, in the font section,
restart X and then, with my window manager, enable anti-aliasing.

I have tried this method with gnome, fluxbox and KDE all with
success. This is of course not an official "debian way" to
do things, but it has worked for me and I hope it does for you too.

There is a font-deuglification howto: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/FDU/
but it is in my opinion rather involved.

Red Hat and Suse now ship with great anti-aliased font support
right out of the box, I think Debian is well on its way, and hope
this font issue will soon be a thing of the past.

--
Angelina Carlton