Re: Testing on Inspiron 5150 (or 5160)

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:31:59PM -0700, H. S. wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with Debian on 5150? Any
> quirks or should Testing or Unstable work just after
> installation.

I'm writing this on a 5150 running testing.  No big problems.  I haven't
been able to get suspend/sleep to work, but I can't say I've tried too
hard either.  Getting DRI acceleration working was a bit convoluted, but
with info from a few websites I managed to do it.  I can provide kernel
.config files or other specific info if you are interested.  This
machine is about a year old, I don't know how much the hardware has
changed in recent 5150s.  Wireless card will definitely not work (except
if you use ndiswrapper, but I'd rather not go there).  Another thing I
have not managed to make work is the modem, but again I haven't put much
of an effort into it.

It's kind of heavy, good if you want a semi-stationary laptop, but the
screen is big and beautiful, the keyboard has a reasonable size, and
battery life is surprisingly good for a 15" display.

Cheers

--
Ivan Fernández
ivan.fernandez@yale.edu