Sound structure (was Re: Dell Inspiron 8600)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Juraj Ziegler wrote:

> Is it solved yet? If not, I'll try to shed some light on it.
>
> Layers:
>
> * application
> * gstreamer-sinker (sink-oss, sink-alsa, sink-esd)
> * user-land soft mixer (ArTS, esound, dmix)
> * kernel-level driver (oss, alsa, alsa with oss emulation)
> * soundcard (obviously)
>

> You should choose one kernel-level driver and one user-land mixer.
> According to this, configure your application and the GNOME environment.
>
> E.g. I used alsa with oss emulation, esound as the mixer, no gnome
> applications (which takes gstreamer out of the equation) and therefore have
> all applications set to use their esd-output plugins.
>
> As to an Audio CD playing, this is always being mixed directly in the
> soundcard. If you take any volume programs, you have one widget for CD, one
> for output, one for PCM. Output is clear, CD sets the level of the CD channel.
> The PCM channel is the one used, when you play a movie or a mp3, or your IM
> client makes a beep. So CD is a completely different game.
>
> ArTS is, from our point of view, the same stuff as esound, just preferred by
> KDE.
>
> I have no real experience with dmix, so please cut me some slack :).
>
> I am not sure, where in GNOME's control panel/center you can configure the
> gstreamer sinkers, but I am sure you will find it in GConf. I expect that
> the Totem player uses the gstreamer infrastructure.
>
> Hope this helps. If you are still confused, just ask.

Okay -- I am still confused.  Well, not so much confused.. but Esound
doesn't seem to have any decent documentation.  How do I configure
application programs to use it?  And where is it run from? I didn't see it
in my /etc/init.d directory anywhere.  And at least a few programs I use
(e.g. ogle for dvds) don't have options to send sound to esd, and
complain that /dev/dsp is not available... so esd has to be killed before
I can play dvds.

And what are these 'streamer sinkers' of which you speak?  Googling for
'gstreamer-sinker' and 'sink-esd' both come up empty.

By the way, where does an application like Macromedia Flash Plugin for
Mozilla fit into this structure?

-Brandon