Re: loss of character "s" in x

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Markus Uhlmann wrote:

> i am running sarge on a dell latitude 5100. window-manager is
> "wmaker".
>
> frequently the "s" key ceases to work under x (no hardware problem,
> works in text consoles) and can only be re-activated by ctrl-alt-f'ing
> to a different console and back to x.

I had a similar problem with my Thinkpad X23, the 's' key alone would work
fine, as would Ctrl-s (i.e. as used in Xemacs), but Ctrl-Alt-s would not
work (had it bound to open a shell in the window manager).

The window manager was fvwm2, and the system was stock woody with the
Xfree86 4.2 from sarge backported/recompiled (to get support for the ATI
Radeon in this laptop).

> anyone has a similar problem? or even an explanation? it started after
> a recent "big" up-date around 10 days ago. sorry, don't know which
> packages were updated, but surely x-window-system was part of it.

I not not sure what it was due to, but eventually Ctrl-Alt-s just started
working. One day it did not work, the next day it would, no reboots or
restarts of X occured between those two points in time. Don't know how
much help this will be to you, but just another data point. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |