Re: loss of character "s" in x

On 15 Sep 2004, Markus Uhlmann wrote:
> frequently the "s" key ceases to work under x (no hardware problem,
> works in text consoles) and can only be re-activated by ctrl-alt-f'ing
> to a different console and back to x.
>
> the problem might be triggered by pressing "ctrl-x ctrl-s" in emacs,
> which i do often, but i am not sure.
>
> anyone has a similar problem? or even an explanation?

Is this happening with a GUI Emacs, or Emacs in an xterm or equivalent?

If it is in an xterm then 'C-s' is one of the flow control characters -
XOFF, specifically - and will stop updates to the screen.

Try sending XON - C-q - next time it freezes.

If this is a GUI Emacs, though, then it is something else entirely.

   Daniel
--
Our struggle freed us from outrageous oppression and created a
great nation founded on liberty. That's why today, we can punch the