Toshiba Libretto 50CT

I have install Libranet 2.8 (mostly Sarge) on a drive which I then
installed in my (new to me) Libretto.  Everything except pcmcia went
smoothly.  When pcmcia wasn't detected, I searched around a bit and
found that many Toshibas use a relatively rare Toshiba pcmcia chip.  I
decided that this chip was supposed to be controlled by module tcic
rather than the more common yenta_socket.  However, no joy there;
"insmod tcic" told me "no device found".

Can someone straighten me out?  It is possible that pcmcia hardware is
broken; I have not used it with any other OS.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die