Re: Help with Dell 1150 wireless card in Dell 5100

Chris Kacoroski wrote:
Hi,

I have a dell 5100 with a dell 1150 wireless card. The card worked under Mandrake, but I cannot get it to work with Debian testing (2.6.7-2 kernel). Iwconfig produces:

eth2      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"Admin-Wireless"  Nickname:"HERMES I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457GHz  Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:XXXXXXXXXXXX
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/92  Signal level=134/153  Noise level=134/153

wavemon shows the card, but i am not connected. I have checked the password and ESSID with the lan admin and they are correct. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this are appreciated. I do not think I need to recompile the kernel because I can see the card.

It appears that the card is up and running, but you just need to get IP configured. If you know DHCP is available on the WLAN, try requesting an IP address using "dhclient eth2". If this works, then all you need to do is add "eth2" to your /etc/network/interfaces file so next time eth2 comes up, the ifupdown script will automaticallly run the dhcp client on that interface.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User