SpeedStep-Problem

Hi,

I have downloaded kernel-2.6.8 (debian-unstable package) via apt-get and
have overwritten the speedstep-centrino file with the one published on
http://tuxmobil.org/centrino.html.
Then I have changed the .config-file of the kernel:

#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF=m
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y

#
# CPUFreq processor drivers
#
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD=m
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=m
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_TABLE=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI=y
# CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_RELAXED_CAP_CHECK=y
# CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
# CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set

I have compiled the kernel, loaded the module via modprobe and...
SUCCESS
-------

$ lsmod|grep speedstep
speedstep_centrino      6868  0
processor              15088  2 speedstep_centrino,thermal

Some weeks ago I read something about some clients which are capable of
setting the cpu-speed dynamically.
Today I have installed some of these and POWERNOWD have set the speed.
Therefore, I have written a short shell-script:

$ cat test2
while true; do cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep MHz; sleep 1; done

... and I received the following output:

cpu MHz         : 598.148
cpu MHz         : 598.148
cpu MHz         : 598.148
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 1495.371
cpu MHz         : 598.148
cpu MHz         : 598.148

I have noticed that there are only TWO STEPS at which the cpu is running!
Finally I have read the manual-page of powernowd.

EXCERPT:
"This daemon works best with processors that support more then 2 frequency steps,
like  those  with  AMD's PowerNow!,  and Intel's Pentium M family.
Some other daemons are better suited for two speed states,  and  toggle
between two states based upon load.  This daemon does a better job handling
intermediate steps."

So, powernowd should handle more than two frequency steps on my Pentium
M processor! BUT IT DOESN`T?

ANY IDEA?