Re: GUI

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 12:15:48PM +0100, Ognjen_Bezanov wrote:
> I have a (very slow) laptop which i use an an access point and storage
> server, and i was thinking of installing a GUI which will only be needed
> occasionally, i need a windowmanager which will consume very little
> resources (i only have 32mb ram) and take little space, i thought
> windowmaker would be a good choice but how do i install it, what package
> name is it under "apt-get" - also i do not want ant other WM's (e.g. gnome &
> KDE) as i dont have space for them, so how do i install just windowmaker?

two words for you: "apt-cache search":

apt-cache search windowmaker
[...]
wmaker - NeXTSTEP-like window manager for X

And two more words: "apt-cache show":

[yves@oban]:yves$ apt-cache show wmaker
Package: wmaker
 Written by Alfredo Kojima almost from scratch, resembles the NeXTStep look
 very closely, and it's now an official GNU project.  Window Maker is not
 overloaded with features, and it's easier to configure than most other window
 managers.  Its final goal is to produce a window manager that doesn't require
 editing of configuration files.  Window Maker is fast and doesn't require tons
 of memory to run.
 .
 Homepage: <http://www.windowmaker.org/>

In terms of small WM, I'm a big fan of PWM and/or ION2, which I also find
particularly adapted to the small laptop displays.

Y.