Re: Problem getting ALSA working on Dell Inspiron 4150

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 10:58:39AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On August 31, 2004 06:17 am, Juraj Ziegler wrote:
>
> > On a 2.6.x kernel, I would rather give up modprobe.conf and just run the
> > hotplug daemon. Works fine for all PCI, USB and PCCard/PCMCIA devices. At
> > least on all my machines :).
>
> Can you give a bit more detail?  I'm not sure how one would go about
> eliminating modprobe.conf - so many things seem to use it.  Particularly
> alsaconf (alsa-utils).  Do you not even need alsaconf?  To actually remove
> module-init-tools would remove hotplug too, so you can't totally give up
> modprobe.conf.
>
> derek@iago:~$ apt-cache rdepends module-init-tools
> module-init-tools
> Reverse Depends:
>   nvidia-kernel-common
>   microcode.ctl
>  |thinkpad-base
>   pcmcia-cs
>   modconf
>   laptop-net
>   kernel-image-2.6.7-1-k7-smp
>   kernel-image-2.6.7-1-k7
>   kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686-smp
>   kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686
>   kernel-image-2.6.7-1-386
>   irda-utils
>  |hotplug
>   firehol
>   bluez-utils
>   alsa-utils
>   alsa-base

I was talking (ehm, writing :) about modprobe.conf, not about the
module-init-tools themselves. You still need module-init-tools to insert the
required driver modules into the kernel. What hotplug does, it scans (and
watches) the PCI, USB, PC-Card, PCMCIA (probably even hotplug-ISA< but I have
no real-world experience on that) and if a new device appears (all devices are
new during the startup of hotplug, i.e. while booting the system), it loads
the correct modules. That means, you don't have to enumerate the modules in
/etc/modules.  modprobe.conf is good only to create aliases (eth0, snd0,
wlan0, etc) and to specify parameters for the modules. THe file si hopelessly
out of date on the only system I can check now and the system still works
flawlessly. Hotplug just loaded all required modules.

So in short, if you run hotplug, it should automagically load the modules
required for your system.

j.

"We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk of any
management." -- Dilbert
:wq