Re: Problem getting ALSA working on Dell Inspiron 4150

Joe Emenaker wrote:

Here are the quick facts:

1 - ALSA used to work. I don't know when it stopped working... if it was after a kernel upgrade or an upgrade in some of the alsa-tools or what. But now, I get no sound. I don't get any *errors*... I just don't get any sound.

2 - Typical problem in this case is that the volumes are all muted. However, in this case, if I run "alsamixer", I get "function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device".

 3 - /proc/alsa/cards contains "--- no soundcards ---".

4 - OSS *does* work. (No, I don't want to use it because I can't get KDE and XMMS to use it at the same time)

5 - 'lsmod' shows that the intel8x0 *is* loaded... as well as soundcore, and a lot of other things that lsmod claims intel8x0 uses.

Any ideas?

This sounds pretty close to what happened to me with my Inspiron 8200 after a kernel upgrade, I posted a question here and got a response from Bruno Muller to try booting with "pci=noacpi" passed to the kernel. Everything works hunky-dory now, you might want to give it a shot. He also pointed out this website:

http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~amanous/Inspiron-Linux/#kernel

HTH,

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther
Mechanical Engineering Graduate Researcher