Re: Problem getting ALSA working on Dell Inspiron 4150

On August 27, 2004 08:45 am, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> Here are the quick facts:
>
>   1 - ALSA used to work. I don't know when it stopped working... if it
> was after a kernel upgrade or an upgrade in some of the alsa-tools or
> what. But now, I get no sound. I don't get any *errors*... I just don't
> get any sound.

Same for me...  I use sound so infrequently that I never notice what change it
is that screws it up.

>   2 - Typical problem in this case is that the volumes are all muted.
> However, in this case, if I run "alsamixer", I get "function
> snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device".
>
>   3 - /proc/alsa/cards contains "--- no soundcards ---".
>
>   4 - OSS *does* work. (No, I don't want to use it because I can't get
> KDE and XMMS to use it at the same time)
>
>   5 - 'lsmod' shows that the intel8x0 *is* loaded... as well as
> soundcore, and a lot of other things that lsmod claims intel8x0 uses.
>
> Any ideas?

It doesn't sound the same as miy problem, but I _do_ know that the correct
module is snd_intel8x0, not intel8x0 (somebody else mentioned intel8x0 was
for OSS).  Run alsaconf again.  In my case, alsaconf always brings it back,
but it won't persist to the next KDE session.

btw, my /proc/*/cards is apparently /proc/asound/cards.  I have no idea what
the difference is.
--
derek