Re: Synaptics touchpad & keyboard on Toshiba Satellite M30

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 12:46 +0200, Alessandro Ghigi wrote:
> SETUP: Sarge with kernel 2.6.8 on Toshiba Satellite M30
>

> PROBLEM: while typing (both with X and on console) sometimes the characters  stop being displayed, and they reappear after a little way. Very often one character is displayed a bunch of times, as in
>
> /wrtiw/ret.sdfkjsbdf.vkmsb................................dkgu;veo8rvcw;er9vcwn'ernw89vcn'p9cw8e'rp9
>

> SYSLOG:
>
> When the keyboard has the problem, /var/log/syslog gives reports:
>
> Aug 24 07:54:58 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Keyboard on isa0060/serio0 reports too many keys pressed.
> Aug 24 07:55:01 localhost last message repeated 3 times

I have seen the same thing on a Toshiba Satellite 2140, and never found
out what it was. It was not load dependent, however it seemed to occur
more often when one was typing quickly, maybe hitting 2 keys at once
frequently. It seems to me that I have read a bug report (unresolved)
somewhere. Did you try bugs.debian.org?
Fortunately, the install was trashed, and the issue went away with a
sarge reinstall, using kernel-image 2.6.7. No idea why.

FWIW, the keyboard had always been a problem on this laptop: When I
first installed woody on it, it would repeat keys. It turned out that
the keyboard hardware is buggy, and there was a kernel patch available.
The patch seems to have been integrated, and the issue went away (with a
high 2.4.x kernel IIRC). Also IIRC an X update (4.3?) was involved in
resolving the issue in some way. At the time I also read that such
keyboard problems are not unknown to Toshiba users in general.

Maybe the 2 issues are unrelated, but at least they show that it may be
a hardware prob.

Regards, M