Re: Synaptics touchpad & keyboard on Toshiba Satellite M30

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:01:03AM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 12:46 +0200, Alessandro Ghigi wrote:
> > SETUP: Sarge with kernel 2.6.8 on Toshiba Satellite M30
> >

> > PROBLEM: while typing (both with X and on console) sometimes the characters  stop being displayed, and they reappear after a little way. Very often one character is displayed a bunch of times, as in
> >
> > /wrtiw/ret.sdfkjsbdf.vkmsb................................dkgu;veo8rvcw;er9vcwn'ernw89vcn'p9cw8e'rp9
> >

> > SYSLOG:
> >
> > When the keyboard has the problem, /var/log/syslog gives reports:
> >
> > Aug 24 07:54:58 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Keyboard on isa0060/serio0 reports too many keys pressed.
> > Aug 24 07:55:01 localhost last message repeated 3 times
>
> I have seen the same thing on a Toshiba Satellite 2140, and never found
> out what it was. It was not load dependent, however it seemed to occur
> more often when one was typing quickly, maybe hitting 2 keys at once
> frequently. It seems to me that I have read a bug report (unresolved)
> somewhere. Did you try bugs.debian.org?
> Fortunately, the install was trashed, and the issue went away with a
> sarge reinstall, using kernel-image 2.6.7. No idea why.
>
> FWIW, the keyboard had always been a problem on this laptop: When I
> first installed woody on it, it would repeat keys. It turned out that
> the keyboard hardware is buggy, and there was a kernel patch available.
> The patch seems to have been integrated, and the issue went away (with a
> high 2.4.x kernel IIRC). Also IIRC an X update (4.3?) was involved in
> resolving the issue in some way. At the time I also read that such
> keyboard problems are not unknown to Toshiba users in general.
>
> Maybe the 2 issues are unrelated, but at least they show that it may be
> a hardware prob.
>
> Regards, M
>

> --

Thank you for your message! I agree that it does not look like a load problem, and that it happens while typing quickly.

Do you know if one has the same problem with a kernel 2.4.x? I have installed also a Mandrake 10 and there everything works properly (both mouse and keyboard) with the 2.4.x kernel. With the 2.6 kernel the mouse tapping doesn't work.

I took a look at the page suggested by Mattia Dongili,

http://www.thorstenhaas.de/toshiba2410/

There 5 methods are suggested to cure the keyboard problem. I tried the last 3 methods, one disablign Xkb, the others using two different ways of suppressing keyboard bouncing while using Xkb (with AccessX and xkbset respectively). None of them seem to work in my case (in fact my notebook is Satellite M30, while the page refers to 2410).

I also tried the method suggested by Marco Kraus (http://www.linuxstuff.de/toshiba-m30/toshiba-m30.htm). He says that one should disable synaptics recognition, forcing PS/2 support. Therefore I removed xfree86-driver-synaptics and configured X to use IMPS/2. Kraus also suggests a correction (not very clear) in one of the Kernel source files. This seems to be already done in the present version of the kernel. Nevertheless all this didn't work.

Unfortunately this problem is pretty annoying.

I hope there are some other ways to try.

Thank you very much

Alessandro Ghigi