Debian Sarge 2.4 to 2.6 kernel upgrade has USB issues

Hi all,

Sarge 2.6.6 kernel on a Dell Inspirion 8500

I have upgraded to the 2.6.6 kernel and ACPI works (Yay !!)
However no USB stuff works (boo !!) Mouse and built-in Synaprics
touch pad don't work so X isn't much use.

I have Googled hard but can't seem to find a decent Debain orientated
doco that informs me as to what I need to change to get USB stuff
working or even my touchpad mouse.

All my hardware (USB included)  works under Fedora Core 2 2.6.7
kernel and also under Debian with the 2.4 kernel. So, I copied some X
stuff and fstab stuff from Fedora into the matching Debian files but
no joy.

I added proc and sys sections to fstab and changed my mouse entry in
XF86Config-4. See below

Any hints/links appreciated  :-)

#Section "InputDevice"
#	Identifier  "Mouse0"
#	Driver      "mouse"
#	Option	    "Protocol" "PS/2"
#	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
#	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
#	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
	Identifier  "DevInputMice"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Entire fstab file

#
<pass>
# proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# none		/sys		sysfs	defaults	0	0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none            /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
none            /sys   		sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda4       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
     1
/dev/hda8       /mnt/redhat     ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
     1
/dev/hda1	/mnt/xp		ntfs	ro,gid=ntfs	0       0
/dev/hda5	/mnt/data	ntfs	ro,users	0       0
/dev/hda6	/mnt/software	ntfs	ro,users	0       0
/dev/hda7	/mnt/longhorn	ntfs	ro,users	0       0
/dev/hdc        /mnt/cdrw      	iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/cdrom0 	/mnt/dvd 	iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0	0
/dev/sda	/mnt/floppy	vfat	rw,users,noauto	0	0