Re: Hotplug with Netgear WG511 Confusion - Sarge Reinstalled

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:34:37 +1000
"Peter A. Cole" <peteracole@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm now completely confused by hotplug, pcmcia-cs, and how on earth to get my WG511 up automatically by either plugging it in while my laptop is running or when it is booting if it's already plugged in.
>
> I have successfully gotten my docking station's 3Com card working in this fashion as well as my Xircom 10/100 + 56K modem.
>
> However, all attempts at getting my Netgear WG511 to load automatically have failed.
>
> The only way I can get it to go is manually ifconfig eth0 up, then ifconfig eth0 down, then ifrename to give it the correct logical if name (ethwg5110), then ifconfig ethwg5110 up followed by iwconfig ethwg5110 essid mode enc and then, finally dhclient ethwg5110.
>
> Once I do this, it works like a charm.

*** big snip ***

Yesterday, I did a fresh reinstall of Sarge using the latest Jigdo image as when I first installed Sarge on this laptop, I had to use a Woody installer, then do a dist-upgrade to testing.

However, while this did automatically add in the required hotplug lines in /etc/network/interfaces for my Xircom card (which was plugged in and used for the install), it still has not made a difference to my Netgear WG511.

I still need to up the card and configure it manually for it to work.

It appears that perhaps hotplug is not upping the interface as its initial interface name (usually eth0) so it can be renamed and then configured.

I could be wrong, but I'm having trouble finding a way of debugging the process due to not having any idea of how to log hotplug events.

Can anyone at least advise me how I could log/debug the events from when I initially insert the Netgear card?

It is definitely successfully loading the module and uploading the firmware, as these appear in the syslog, but nothing else does.

Pete