Re: [OT] Replacement Toshiba batteries

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:01:51PM +0100, Yves Rutschle wrote:
> The problem is that the mother board is exactly rigth at the
> bottom of the computer, and you have to start opening by the
> top. It's a long process: it took me about an hour to remove
> the many layers of components, processor fan etc, and IIRC a
> grand total of 70 screws. Then, count 25 secs to resolder
> the connector, and another hour to put it back together. (I
> only had 4 screws left when I finished, not bad.)

Yikes.  After hearing that I'll ask something too general:  Anyone
have a laptop they love?  Maybe something I can find on Ebay for
less than $800?

I like the nice 14" screen on my Toshiba.  Otherwise, it's a big heavy
pain to carry around.  And I need a laptop for travelling next week.

I blame Debian, really.  I bought the laptop with Windows ME
pre-installed for my wife.  It was such a dog and crashed and wouldn't
shut down correctly that we didn't use it much.  I put Debian on it
and it became my favorite machine in the house.

> layer above the mother board.) (BTW, "storx" is an inverted
> star shape).

Do you mean a security torx driver?  The star pattern with the pin in
the center?  http://www.wihatools.com/images/Bits/701endpix150.jpg
Or something else?  I've got security torx bits.  I keep them with my
bolt cutter...

> I hear Apple laptops are *extremely* resistant... hmm.

That's what my wife keeps bringing up.  Expensive.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org