Re: [OT] Replacement Toshiba batteries

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:22:41AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I've got a Toshiba Satellite 2508-S302.  I'm running a 2.6.5 kernel
> with APM (not ACPI -- tried with ACPI but laptop failed to boot).

I have a Satellite 3000-X4 with no APM so I'll skip that
bit... :-)

> BTW -- anyone have experience opening up one of these laptops?  My
> power connector seems to have a bad connection inside the laptop -- I
> have to wiggle the power cable just right to make the connection.

Yes; mine developed exactly the same problem within a year
and a half or so. Fixing it is a rather big job: what
happens is that the power connector is soldered directly
onto the mother board, and that solder doesn't take well
physical stess and eventually gives.

The problem is that the mother board is exactly rigth at the
bottom of the computer, and you have to start opening by the
top. It's a long process: it took me about an hour to remove
the many layers of components, processor fan etc, and IIRC a
grand total of 70 screws. Then, count 25 secs to resolder
the connector, and another hour to put it back together. (I
only had 4 screws left when I finished, not bad.)

One think you'll need that's not obvious is a storx screw
driver. While almost all the screws have normal cross-shaped
heads, there is a storx one to "prevent" access to the vital
parts of the computer (without it, you're stopped at the
layer above the mother board.) (BTW, "storx" is an inverted
star shape).

> Might be time to look for a new (Debian friendly) laptop.

Yes... I must say I'm very disappointed by this laptop: the
corners on the side of the keyboard have both broken; the
original rubber feet are long gone (which lead the laptop to
overheat if left on a flat surface); I'm not even sure that
the model is because the label underneath the casing is worn
out; the battery doesn't age well[1]... and my solder wasn't
good enough as the bad contact problem is appearing again
*grr*. It certainly looks like Toshiba has decided that
laptops are commodities you throw out after a year or so.

I hear Apple laptops are *extremely* resistant... hmm.

Y.

[1] I have a much older Toshiba Satellite 420, that I bought
second hand 4 years ago, which still has about 1 hour of
battery life... This one has about 5 mins.