[OT] Replacement Toshiba batteries

I've got a Toshiba Satellite 2508-S302.  I'm running a 2.6.5 kernel
with APM (not ACPI -- tried with ACPI but laptop failed to boot).

I use Icewm and the battery level reported will drop at a normal rate
from 100% down to about 70% and then all of a sudden drops to 2%.
But, if I plug in the charger and let it charge to about 30% then it
will discharge normally from that point.  I assume that's just the way
the bios is reporting the battery level, although I'm not clear how
all that works.

That battery is about a year old -- maybe older -- so I suspect the
battery.  Before I search out a place to buy a new battery I wanted to
make sure that it's not a problem with APM or my new kernel reporting
incorrect levels.

Would you assume also that it's simply a bad battery?

BTW -- anyone have experience opening up one of these laptops?  My
power connector seems to have a bad connection inside the laptop -- I
have to wiggle the power cable just right to make the connection.

Might be time to look for a new (Debian friendly) laptop.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org