Re: wireless-card configuration

I did the dirty work of figuring some of that out a while back, so I'll
share ;)

I'm not sure about all the details, but it seems to work like this:

(1) cardmgr starts up and pulls in the correct main config file for you
machine. In testing, this seems to be /etc/pcmcia/config. In woody, I
think it was /etc/pcmcia/config2.4 and /etc/pcmcia/config (for 2.2). But
this seems to have been merged now.

(2) All other config files are chained off that one via include
statements. Wildcards can be included as well. (to allow other drivers
to dump config info in the directory without having to edit your config
automatically (dangerous).

(3) Your card is detected by various means (vendorID/productID pair, or
reported name, or other ways) [I think these are the "card" entries].
This points to a "device" type.

(4) The device types describes the "class" of the device and the driver
that needs to be loaded.

(5) The shell script associated with the "class" is invoked. ("network",
"serial", "wireless", ...) This finishes the setup.

The "*.opts" files are meant for configuration and are sourced from the
associated file without the ".opts" extension. This allows you to tweak
settings without editing the main (and quite complex) file.

Hope that helps,

Adam