Re: debian wireless weirdness netgear mr814v2 and belkin card

On 29 Jun 2004, Joe wrote:
> I have a laptop that I have installed debian on. On one wireless
> network I can connect just fine. But on a second wireless network I
> have problems. Other clients connect fine on both networks, so I know
> the access points are both fine.
>
> My problem is that on my debian GNU/Linux system when I connect to the
> access point in question I can ping hosts by name and IP
>
> EG: ping yahoo.com works . So DNS is working fine as dig also works
> and ping returns with time and tty etc.

So, ICMP and small packet UDP work, then.

> Problem is I cannot connect to anything else. If I try telnet
> yahoo.com 80 it just hangs.

TCP doesn't. What state does it hang in? You can check that by running
'netstat -t', and looking for the connection, and the state at the far
right of the lines.

If it hangs in 'SYN_SENT', you may have ECN enabled in the kernel, and
have that preventing connection to Yahoo. Try editing /etc/sysctl.conf
and adding this line, then rebooting to test again:

  net/ipv4/tcp_ecn = 0

If it hangs at some other state, you may have a PMTU discovery issue.
Try running this command (as root), and then testing:

  /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1200

Substitute your wireless network interface name for 'wlan0' in that
line.

Otherwise, report what the state is, and I will see about further
advice.

        Daniel
--
If you own this child at an early age, you can own this child for years to
come. Companies are saying, `Hey, I want to own the kid younger and younger.'