Re: Fwd: Re: Going wireless

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:36:12PM -0600, Marvin Gerardo Aguero Salazar wrote:
> Ben, I appreciate your help. I'll visit the sites you provided me with.
>
> > > Secondly, one my co-workers is right next to me and he is working
> > just> fine with his wireless card in the windows world. That tells
> > us that
> > > there is an access point close by. At the hotel where I am
> > staying at
> > > there is also a WiFi network. I have been unable to scan a
> > network on
> > > either environment.
> >
> > I suggest you find out from your friend what settings his card
> > produces
> > i.e. essid, frequency etc. put all of that in your
> > /etc/network/interfaces (assuming that is where you are putting
> > your
> > settings..
>
> Well, that's part of the problem. I don't know how to pull that
> informatio out his machine in MS-Windows world. :-)
>
> [Your analisys about Windows and worms is pretty funny :-)]
>
> Anyway, I think my problem relies in the fact that I cannot change any
> of the values ndiswrapper puts there for me. Once the wlan0 device is
> there, I have been unable to change essid, frequency, etc.
>
> The only one parameter I have been able to change is the mode. Going
> from ad-hoc to managed, but that's about it.
>
> Well, thanks again. I will visit the sites to see what new I can learn.

Marvin,

Reading through all your posts again, I wonder...
	- Did you try your wireless card in the windows computer of your
	  co-worker?
	- Is there some kind of MAC-address authentication present in
	  the Access Point?
	- Did you try both of the drivers at
	  http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/supported_chipsets.html ?

To elaborate on point 2: at work, I couldn't obtain an IP address
through the access point. I don't recall the exact symptoms, so this
might not be your problem at all. The point is that access points can
authenticate clients based on their mac address (hardware address). If
your card is not registered with the access point, and the access point
is in this mode, you won't get access.

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!