X window woes on HP pavilion ze4600

Hi,

Thanks to those who answered some questions of mine some days ago. I have now
tried several variations upon several themes in order to get debian (v. 3.0)
on my laptop (HP pavilion ze4600), and had gotten a stable command line
version running. I thereupon started X via startx which caused for some
reason first a KDE setup dialog to appear (everything freezes) and after a
reboot a gnome login dialog (again, everything freezes).
I presume that the configuration of X is completely wrong so that I have no
ability to use keyboard or touch pad.
Is there a boot setting for the debian rescue boot (using a 3.0 DVD) that will
prevent X from starting so that I will be able to change the settings of X?
Any other ideas?

Thanks
Peter