Can I make my laptop mouse buttons lighter to the touch?

I have a compaq presario 700. It has synaptic touchpad and two buttons. First question, are the two buttons part of the touchpad or not? Also, I feel like I have to put a lot of pressure on the buttons to make them click. Is there a software way to make them more responsive? What drivers deal with those two physical buttons?

(I'm aware I can click the synaptic touchpad but this had always driven me crazy so I disable that feature. I'm talking about the two physical buttons here).

Debian unstable.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com