Re: via-rhine driver loads but does not connect

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:44:46 +1000, Brendan Dacre wrote
> Gentlepeople,
>
> I have a QDI Alacritas 520-K8 AMD 64 based notebook.  I have loaded
> Woody r0 bf2.4 kernel from CD and no networking came up automatically.
>
> I manually loaded the via-rhine driver for the on board network chip
> but dhclient times out and I can get no network connection.
>
> I have successfully got the Gentoo AMD 64 live cd to boot (using the
> emachines kernel) and auto detect and connect using the via-rhine
> driver (but that attempted installation has other problems which are
> OT in this list).
>
> The networking also failed in Mandrake v9.2.

> Other info:
>
> Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8235A3
> Graphic ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

Gentlepeople,

When comparing the ifconfig output from Mandrake v9.2, Debian and Knoppix (not
working, IRQ 16) and Gentoo AMD64 (working, IRQ 9), I decided to try and force
the other distributions to use IRQ 9.

Finally by trial and error I got this to work on Knoppix with the noapic
kernel option which also worked for Debian.

So now I am finally on-line.  Next getting sound working...

Brendan
--
Mail.OnMyWeb http://mail.onmyweb.net - Powered by Accsoft