via-rhine driver loads but does not connect

Gentlepeople,

I have a QDI Alacritas 520-K8 AMD 64 based notebook.  I have loaded Woody r0
bf2.4 kernel from CD and no networking came up automatically.

I manually loaded the via-rhine driver for the on board network chip but
dhclient times out and I can get no network connection.

I have successfully got the Gentoo AMD 64 live cd to boot (using the emachines
kernel) and auto detect and connect using the via-rhine driver (but that
attempted installation has other problems which are OT in this list).

The networking also failed in Mandrake v9.2.

This machine is similar to these:

Italy: Olidata Strainer 8030
Japan: Hercule Prometheus 6000
Japan: Linasis A64
Japan: Progress AT64320
Arima A520 K8

Other info:

Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8235A3
Graphic ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

Any help getting the networking working in Debian would be appreciated as it
is not very useful without it.

Thanks.

Brendan
--