usb debian

Hello,

Since a few days I am trying to install woody on a toshiba a30-404
 - intel mobile P4
 - intel 82852GM  (graphic processor)
 - intell 82801 (usb + other things ... controller)
 - intel 845G/GL chipset (sound controller)
 - RTL8139 (ethernet)

After a few days I got the X server and the ethernet working
  (driver VESA for X, and RTL8139 for the NIC)

But, untill now, I have no USB and no sound !!
I could do without sound but I can not without USB !!!

I am running Woody kernel 2.4.18.bf24
I tried with kernel 2.4.26 and even with 2.6 (backports) without any
success.

Have someone already installed a Debian on this laptop ??
Or, eventually, another distrib with success regarding USB (and
eventually sound) ??

I found a bit of info at:
  http://www.triptico.com/software/linux-ts-a30-303.html
It told me the USB should work right of the bow !!
But apparently I am using the wrong box !!

What I would like to know is:
 -what kernel version I should use, and what in the .config
 -i am even ready to switch to another distrib if it does the trick (i
am that desperate !)

Thanks for any bit of info.

carex.