Re: [OT] Laptop in a pannier bag?

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 13:49, Nicolas was heard to say:
> ... but if you use Debian on a laptop,
> you must be a little "geeky".

I would have said, a little *extra* geeky.

> the laptop have
> a lots of stress since my back is "round" while pedalling.  I would
> > like to put my laptop (it's realy mine, not the cie one) in a
> pannier (rear side bag for the byke), but I don't know if it is
> good for the laptop.

Shock is not good for anything, especially computers. In motorcycle
terms, since that's one of my things, "sprung" verses "unsprung" is
what you're talking about. On your back, the laptop is insulated
against the variations in the road surface. It is effectively
"sprung". Placed in a pannier it would be "unsprung", victim to every
pebble and rut, bump and vibration.

Better to get a backpack with a frame, or maybe a mountain-bike with
springs and mount the pannier somewhere on your butt's side of the
springs rather than the wheels side.

When I was riding my bicycle to work in Tokyo I had my laptop in a
backpack too, I just made sure to put a sheet of plastic on the
inside to keep the sweat from getting to the laptop.

> 	Nic Cola

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001