Garbled screen on IBM R50

Hi List

I've encountered something that I find extremely strange, sometimes when
I boot my IBM R50 everything on the screen is all garbled, even the
centrino and ibm logo in the start sequence. The machine is still able
to boot and when i restart it a couple of times it goes back to being
fine. The best recover results is when I, without being able to see what
I type, is able to login to the machine and give it the halt command.

Has anyone seen this before and can I do anything about it?

greets
Jesper