Serial port freezes

Recently, configured my internal modem to use /dev/ttyS15, on Debian Woody.
For some reason pon and wvdial both freeze my system, no buttons work at all. I think there may be a IRQ conflict (IRQ 9). I've tried using setserial /dev/ttyS15 UART 16550A irq 3 and 4, but neither work. Also in Grub for kernel options both pci=noapci and pci=apcioff, neither work, the system still freezes.
Any help in changing IRQ's etc greatly appreciated