Re: hotplug vs pcmcia-cs

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:57:55PM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When you post, please do not use reply (especially not to the SPAM)

oops, sorry. hit the wrong button and just proceeded without thinking :(

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:43:15PM +0800, Jiele wrote:
> > Hi, everyone,
> >     I need some hints on how to let hotplug manage my pcmcia wireless card.
>
> Have you read my "Debian Reference"?  There Thomas gives good guide.
>
> http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-trigger

I will definitely read them.

> >     Until now, I have been using pcmcia-cs package to manage my Linksys
> > pcmcia wireless card. It works great. I use the driver provided by kernel
> > (2.6.4). For pcmcia-cs package, I only use its utilities (e.g. cardmgr,
> > scripts, ...), not the its driver. But since I need hotplug to manage my usb
> > stuff (memory key, mouse), I would love to have hotplug to manage my
> > wireless card too!
>
> Is this cardbus card?

Unfortunately, I think it's a 16-bit PC-Card, because I need to enable
some ISA support (can't remember the exact name) in kernel to use it.
Anyway, it's Linksys WPC11 card "Instant Wireless Network PC Card".

> http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-trigger-pcmcia
>
> >     If I boot my machine without starting pcmcia-cs service, I won't be able
> > to "ifup eth1" (eth0 is the built-in ethernet card), even though all the
> > driver modules are loaded. It complains "No such device". Plug in and out
> > the card, I expect to see some log message by hotplug system at
> > /var/log/message, but nothing at all! Now if I run "cardmgr", eth1 will be
> > automatically up. This gives me some confidence that the drivers are fine.
> >
> > Here is my question:
> >
> > 1) Is it possible to get rid of pcmcia-cs package, and let hotplug to manage
> > my card? All the drivers are provided by kernel.
>
> If cardbus, yes.

Quoted from http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html

For 16 bit ISA PCMCIA network cards:
hotplug / ifupdown with locally disabled /etc/pcmcia/network
(recommended), or
pcmcia-cs / ifupdown with default /etc/pcmcia/network (deprecated), or
pcmcia-cs customized by enabling features of /etc/pcmcia/network
(deprecated)

I would love to have first approach working. And I think I am quite
close now. If I completely disable pcmcia-cs (including cardmgr), when I
insert card, nothing happends. "ifup eth1" says "No such device". If I
run "cardmgr" while disable pcmcia-cs's network config script, after
inserting card, hotplug is able to get notified, and bring up eth1
successfully using /etc/network/interfaces. BTW, all related driver
modules are loaded all the time, and cardmgr won't load any new modules.

So apparently, without cardmgr, the kernel seems fail to bind the driver
(orinoco_cs) to eth1, and then notify hotplug. And cardmgr does something
to bind them. Once eth1 is binded, hotplug can happily manage them. I
tried adding "alias eth1 orinoco_cs" in /etc/modules.conf, doesn't help.

Anything I am missing?

> http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-kernel.en.html#s-kernel-pcmcia
>
> > 2) I suppose kernel will send hotplug system some message when the card is
> > plugged in and out. Is it true? If so, how to get that? FYI, when I plug in
> > and out my usb mouse, hotplug gets called, and related message is logged
> > into /var/log/message.
>
> Which version are you running? unstable?

testing (sarge).

And thank you for the reply!