Re: Zonet Zen1100 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet supported?

Mr. Jan Hearthstone <hearthstone11 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> --- nick <nixyoung <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> > >    Dear people,
> > >   I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 420cdt, and since
> > > cannot boot from CD-ROM drive (although it works,
> > but
> > > the BIOS don't give the option), I have to install
> > > with a whole bunch of floppies. I hope to be able
> > > finish the install using the Zonet Zen1100
> > 10/100Mbps
> > > Fast Ethernet 16-bit PC Card. "ZONET" is mentioned
> > in
> > > the list of supported cards, but it doesn't say
> > there
> > > anything whether the Zen1100 is also meant.
> > >   Where from do I find what modules/drivers I need
> > > install in order to be able to use the card? I am
> > > getting the the stuff to be installed from
> > > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian. Where in the tree is
> > the
> > > file(s) that I need for my Zonet Zen1100
> > 10/100Mbps
> > > Fast Ethernet 16-bit PC Card to function?
> > >   Thanks, Mr. Jan Hearthstone.
> >
> > Type 'cardctl ident' in shell mode and see what it
> > says.
> >

> > Nick
>

> it says: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices
>
> h.s.

So your problem isn't the PC card but the device itself (at least by this far),
right?  Do you know who the maker of the PCMICA device and the model numbers
are? Since the information you provided is limited, I'm not going to ask one
question each post. Here's my experience:

AFAIK many Pentium laptop come with a model CL6729 (Cirrus Logic) PCMCIA device
, at least it happened to 3 of 4 my Pentium laptops from different makers. It
worked happily until Kernel 2.4.x. For Mandrake it works before (includes) MDK
8.1 and gone since 8.2. It was because from Kernel 2.4.x started to includ with
PCMCIA modules but not as many as pcmcia-cs done by David Hinds. CL6729
unfortunately happened to be the one not been covered. Someone suggested me to
recompile the kernel, I tried but didn't work because another hardware problem
occured. I didn't know how to solve it, so I sticked with mdk 8.1 until one day
I tried Debian. During the installation, I noticed there's an option in the
process of confiure PCMCIA where reminds to add with the parameter of 'fast_pci'
if using model CL6729. I did, and it works.

Now, go check your device and see if my experience works for you as well. Once
your device works but still have problem with zonet pc card, post it to here
again. Good luck!

Nick